Monday, March 19, 2007

I Cannot Make Brownies to Save My Life

THIS IS TRUE. I have attempted many times, from box or scratch, to make brownies and I cannot think of one instance in which I have succeeded. This is the recipe I most recently screwed up:

1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp corn oil
4 oz. vegan chocolate chips
Egg replacer for 2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

Combine peanut butter with 2 tbsp corn oil until smooth, set aside. Preheat oven to 350-degrees and lightly oil 8-inch square baking pan, set aside. Combine 1/4 cup corn oil and vegan chocolate chips, stirring occasionally till melted. Remove from heat, set aside. Mix egg replacer, sugar and vanilla in large bowl, blend well. Stir in chocolate mixture, blend well. Stir in flour and baking powder, mix well. Spoon batter into pan and swirl in peanut butter mixture. Bake until top springs back, 20-25 min. Cool before cutting into squares.

Now, I understand, you're thinking--are you vegan? I am not vegan, but I attempted to adapt this recipe using real eggs, white chocolate, and I'm fairly sure I also used the wrong-sized pan. In the end, I'm sure it's wholly my fault that these brownies didn't turn out. But they were close. Close enough I'm encourage me to try again. Stay tuned.

No comments: